fbpx

search

Additional REAC Listening Sessions Announced

 Below are additional REAC Listening Sessions, you are all encouraged to attend these events and express your opinions. From the responses received from other listening sessions, it is clear that the attempt to use a sledgehammer for reform, where a scalpel was needed, is creating a lot of anxiety among the 98% of the owners and agents who were working diligently to remain in compliance and has done nothing to reform the other 2%. 

A simple four-point plan could achieve the stated aims to change the overall focus of REAC inspections to unit condition and health and safety issues.

  • Change the percentage of score dedicated to units from 35% to 50%; make the other four areas worth 12.5% each. This will increase the penalty of unit items and reduce non-unit deficiencies.
  • Add new health and safety requirements such as carbon monoxide detectors
  • Change the notice time to 30 days with some flexibility on scheduling to account for vacations, work schedules, and general availability of the professionals who work at these properties.
  • Create better monitoring of REAC Inspectors to ensure consistency and professionalism among inspectors. 
These changes could be enacted easily and would address the overall concerns without any chaos. We encourage you to advocate for sensible solutions (such as these) which address the concerns in a manner which will actually focus on dwelling unit conditions and eliminating the 2% of the owners/agents who do not have the resident's best interest at the center of what they do.
IRS Amends LIHTC Compliance Monitoring Requirement...
HUD REAC Publishes Additional Requirements for Dat...

Latest Blogs

24 August 2019
REAC Inspections
On August 21, 2019, HUD published a set of proposed rules in the Federal Register "Notice of Demonstration To Assess the National Standards for the Physical Inspection of Real Estate and Associated Protocols" 24 CFR Parts 5 and 200; [Docket No. FR–6...
21 August 2019
REAC Inspections
On August 20, 2019, HUD released the first of the new NSPIRE protocols which will be expected to become active once the pilot/demonstration program has concluded. This is a first look at what deficiencies will look like under NSPIRE, the inspection ...
16 July 2019
REAC Inspections
July 8, 2019 HUD's Office of Multifamily Housing Asset Management and Oversight released a memorandum reiterating the rules surrounding notice prior to entering resident's units, availability of documentation for residents to review, and clarificati...
09 July 2019
REAC Inspections
The House Financial Services Committee passed a bill - the Safe Housing for Families Act of 2019 (H.R. 1690), and it will likely move forward to a full vote in the near future. The bill provides $300 million over three years to fund the installation...
05 June 2019
REAC Inspections
Enter your text here ...HUD REAC Released a PowerPoint document (Click here) in an email to REAC Inspectors. This presentation is intended to provide clarify to sometimes subjective interpretations of what is considered to be "Non-Industry Standard"...

Blog Archive